Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My New Obsession: Trivia Crack

My new obsession has to be the new phone app called Trivia Crack.  For those who don’t know what Trivia Crack is, my answer is that you are thinking too hard and need to simply re-read the name of the app.  This is the phone version of Trivial Pursuit but with the added bonus of being quicker and loaded with questions about the events of the last 5 years.  The questions can range from hopelessly easily and general (what continent is Ellis Island on – real question) to devastatingly hard and specific (what year was Boston founded in with the choices being within a year of each other).  Either way, this game combines my love of trivia with my love of playing other people in trivia to demonstrate how much I enjoy showing off my knowledge of things people had previously laughed at me for knowing.  Oh how the tables have turned and now I get to be obnoxious on a whole other level.  There is truly nothing quite like correctly guessing the answer to some obscure college football question to vanquish a trivia foe.  These are our glory days.  I discovered this game over Thanksgiving due to my brother and we introduced it to our cousins which produced the quietest but also most intense Thanksgiving of all.  We sat down together in complete silence spinning a question dial and waiting for others to answer when we faltered.  The only sounds made were whimpers of “fuck” and “shit” and the occasionally gleeful “I win”.  It was the best Thanksgiving game ever and we all are still playing it obsessively.  My circle has grown to include contemporaries and friends as we all impatiently wait for the time when we will attempt to steal a crown and go further on our journey towards trivia/trivial domination.  Have I mentioned that this game has made me even more obnoxious?

Well it has but who cares, because in probably a week I’ll stop playing, but for right now I can’t get enough of this new obsession of mine which is why I’ve cleverly defined this habit as an obsession.  I invite all who are interested to play me for I can guarantee you are in for a (mostly) fair fight and a chance to become marginally smarter.  It’s bound to happen as you tend to get asked some similar questions that you can’t help but gradually memorize (thanks to Trivia Crack it is engrained in my mind that Suzanne Collins wrote the Hunger Games).  My major complaints with the game can be the broadness of the questions in the categories.  I’ve seen vocab definitions in the art section that have nothing to do with art (it was a query on synonyms).  Also the categories of entertainment, art, and history have a tendency to overlap but what are you going to do.  I guess it is up to the high exalted question maker to decide whether a question about Citizen Kane belongs in history or entertainment. 


So if you were asking the question of what I’ve been doing other than attending Bob Dylan concerts, I’d go with the answer of playing a phone trivia game that lives up to its name of Trivia Crack.  So why don’t you download the game and start a match against me.  Be advised that if you beat me more than three times in a row I will cease to compete against you because I am petty like that.  Or maybe I won’t and come back with a vengeance and zeal to beat my white whale.  Regardless, I am always down for a match of trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment