Monday, February 2, 2015

Super Bowl Wrap Up

New England is a lovely part of our great nation.  I for one cannot get enough of the rich history and richer seafood that this region contains.  If there is one thing I can’t stand about our Northeast corner, I’d have to go with the accents that have befallen those that live there.  The New England or Boston accent never ceases to make my ears bleed.  Why even now the mere thought of the word “wicked” followed by “retawded” do I feel a copious amount of blood ready to gush from my ears.  That is the one thing about that area I can’t stand.  But there are four other things that I fucking despise with all my heart about New England (more than those accent), and they are in descending order of hatred, the Red Sox, the Celtics, the Patriots, and the Bruins.  As a proud New Yorker I would like to say a hearty go fuck yourself to these teams.  The Red Sox for the obvious reason of being complete scumbags and for causing the traumatic moment that was 2004 and creating the element of doubt in my once stalwart Yankees.  Fuck the Celtics for always beating up on the Knicks (sans the playoffs where we are pretty even) and being the general opposite of the Knicks as a franchise.  I hate the Bruins because of the Boston that precedes them and the fact that they have given the Rangers a tough time (hockey people help me out here).  Last night’s Super Bowl featured the Patriots, a Boston team that even non New Yorkers despise, win a game because their opponents were not the New York Giants.  Had the Seahawks been the Giants, that final drive would have resulted in a touchdown and another soul crushing defeat for the one in the hooded sweatshirt (assuming he has a soul).  Instead the Patriots caught a break (this time not due to cheating) and escaped with the ultimate prize and a year full of gloating.  The only solace our nation will receive from this most evil of victories is that New England will probably be blinded by snow for the next few weeks so take that.  At this point it’s all we’ve got.

This year’s halftime show brought out the grandpas and grandmas in my generation.  Katy Perry put on a good show with Lenny Kravitz, but it was Missy Elliott who stole and owned the show.  She was great.  After the show I went online and was greeted by people my age tweeting high praises of the show mixed with the occasional grumbling.  The grumblings were not aimed at the show but rather at young people who didn’t know who Missy Elliott was.  Kids today am, I right?  This was the first “back in my day” moment for some people my age.  In a way they’ve finally hit a reliable mark of old age in complaining about how the younger generation is ignorant.  It was a true milestone and shows that we are well down that familiar generation path forged by the boomers and xers before us (you don’t know who Paul McCartney/Kurt Cobain is, etc).  We are on our path towards crotchetiness and it only took a quarter of a century.  Well played millennials, I guess we are special after all! 


I hate sentimental commercials because at the end of the day all commercials, no matter how sappy or sweet they are, all have the same purpose: to make you buy their stuff.  There is no higher purpose; it all boils down to gimme, gimme, gimme.  That being said, I’d rather watch a crappy sentimental commercial than a downright depressing and horrifying one.  Yep you guessed it; I’m talking about the dead boy commercial from Nationwide.  What the hell was that?  Who thought that putting out a commercial focused on a dead kid would be a winning one especially when it would be sandwiched between such downers like the one where the guy plays life sized Pacman and that other one about Doritos, the most perfect chip in the world.  That dead kid commercial was just awful and would have been the WTF moment of the game if not for that idiotic pass.  I guess add dead kids to the list of things (head trauma, domestic abuse, cheating) we associate with football.  

No comments:

Post a Comment