Monday, April 20, 2015

Lady and the Tramp: Love, Doggystyle

For some reason I’ve been watching a fair amount of old Disney animated classics and I feel compelled to write my feelings about these old standbys.  So following in the tradition of my Sleeping Beauty essay, here comes one about everybody’s favorite mismatched pair: Lady and the Tramp.

I never realized that every dog in this film skirts the line between funny, okay stereotype to downright racist ethnic stereotype.  Those Siamese cats are on Breakfast at Tiffany’s Mickey Rooney levels of racism, but to be fair, they do have the best song in the movie.  I stand by that position.  Still I feel like dogs and cats are the best way to go for broad ethnic humor without really drawing much offense because they are just so gosh darn adorable.  It also helps to make your film during the 1950’s.  But for the record I am a fan of the old hound dog and his faulty memory.  That folksy glory day’s living hound is alright in my book.  Plus I’m convinced that the girl dog in the pound is some sort of doggie prostitute besides being a vaudeville/burlesque/showgirl of old.  I think it’s the way she covers her bangs…like a doggie whore.  Still if I were the Tramp I would have been with her instead of Lady.  The hooker dog has a sultry voice and intriguing personality as compared to the posh bland stylings of that upper class “Lady”.  She is a bore in my book and fits in perfectly with the whole blandly nice Disney princess vibe.  When will Disney make the wisecracking/ironic classic princess I demand!

For me the saddest part in the film (other than the presumed death of the hound dog) is the rejection of the Tramp’s lifestyle.  The pivotal scene is when Tramp shows Lady the hills and the mountains and the untamed forests and proclaims this land to be their kingdom.  He says we can take this land and roam around freely in a lovely bohemian existence.  Lady looks out and simply sees the manicured town and responds how she has to watch over the baby, despite the fact that there are two capable parents there.  She decides to live in boring suburbia and drags our bohemian hero down with her.  Talk about a buzzkill. 

Since when do rats have it in for babies?  Why was that rat so intent on killing or hurting that poor little infant?  It made absolutely no sense but then again I don’t have a child nor do I own any dogs nor do I live in a small town at the turn of the century.  So if I’m missing anything pardon my ignorance on the matter.

Jim’s moustache is very distracting to me.  Every time it appears I just become fixated on it and can’t look away.  It’s hypnotic in a strange way. 

The restaurant spaghetti scene is a classic of cinema but I would like to see what was happening on the other side of the equation – the paying customer side.  How long were these people waiting for their fine Italian meals and did anybody notice what was causing the delay?  I like to imagine after about a 20 minute wait a guy looks out the window to the back and sees the wait staff attending to a doggy date.  Then he angrily narrates the scene to his fellow starving patrons until they start to become belligerent and violence ensues.  Or maybe Tony’s restaurant only serves animals.  Again I wasn’t around in America at the turn of the century so I have no idea if that’s how restaurants or small town Italian eateries worked backed then.  So again I ask you to please pardon my ignorance. 

This movie is the perfect date movie.  It’s probably one of the only reasons I would have wanted to be alive and dating in the mid 50’s.  A story about a sheltered uptown Lady and a streetwise rascal Tramp is more romantic than any lame drives up to lookout/make-out/fornication point (well maybe not the last one).  Add in some lovable characters like a Scotty in a vest and scenes of Lady being a puppy and you’ve got the most adorable movie of all time.  It is a force of puppy dog love.


In closing I believe Disney should have stuck with their original title: Love, Doggystyle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment