Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Simpson's Marathon

Now that The Simpson’s Marathon has ended, I can go back to my old life of not watching an endless stream of the greatest show to ever grace our television sets.  So there’s that I suppose.  Below I have written down my favorite episode from each season with no explanation given.  You’ll just have to figure out why based on your wits, your guile, and the various clues I’ve hidden in each of my blog posts (oh they’re there, you just haven’t been paying as close attention as you should have been) along with some quick thoughts on the marathon.

Season 1: “Krusty Gets Busted”

Season 2: “Lisa’s Substitute”

Season 3: “Homer at the Bat”

Season 4: “Marge v. The Monorail”

Season 5: “Cape Feare”

Season 6: “Sideshow Bob Roberts”

Season 7: “A Fish Called Selma”

Season 8: “Homer’s Enemy”

Season 9: “The Joy of Sect”

Season 10: “Mayored to the Mob”

Season 11: “Behind the Laughter”

Season 12: “Trilogy of Error”

 Season 13: “A Hunka Hunka Burns in Love”

Season 14: “How I Spent My Strummer Vacation”

Season 15: “The Regina Monologues”

Season 16: “There’s Something About Marrying “

Season 17: “The Seemingly Never-Ending Story”

Season 18: “You Kent Always Say What You Want”

Season 19: “Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind”

Season 20: “Gone Maggie Gone”

Season 21: “To Surveil with Love”

Season 22: “MoneyBart”

Season 23: “Holidays of Future Passed”

Season 24: “The Day the Earth Stood Cool”

Season 25: “Brick Like Me”


Thoughts:

I saw 152 episodes over the marathon equaling 27.5% of the entire show.  I am pathetic.  Well, there’s always next marathon.

Posts about how The Simpsons haven’t been good since ____ are incredibly annoying and usually written by people who have seen no more than five episodes past season 8.  Sure the quality dipped after season 8, but the show still has had plenty of classics and good episodes after.  Yes, The Simpsons will never be as good as it once was but no show can ever top the highs that were season 3-8.  We’re all just going to have to accept it and enjoy the show for what it is.  I am always excited for Sunday night for hope that I will be pleasantly surprised by a delightful new episode.   I will never turn my back on my favorite show.  Never!

When I left my house during the classic episodes of the marathon, all I could think about was getting back home to watch more of the marathon.  While walking outside the only thing I could think about was various Simpson’s quotes and I ended up laughing around town like an idiot while staring at the strangers outside and wondering how they could be missing season four of the Simpsons.  The only answer I could think of was that, like me, they needed to refresh their eyes for an hour to prepare for another six hours of binge watching.  Any other reason for being outside just seemed petty and foolish.  I was having fun at a party but I still couldn’t escape the feeling that I would rather be inside watching “Bart’s Girlfriend”.  My brother’s updates on the marathon didn’t help either and forced me to lie and race home.  In short, the marathon killed my social life, but I’m not complaining.

Following the show runners and writers on twitter during their relevant episodes and seasons was fascinating, entertaining, and so very enlightening.  For many stretches it seemed like they were having a better time during the marathon than the fans and we were better for it.  It was the next best thing to hearing their commentary on a DVD boxset.

I saw so many commercials for The League that I no longer feel the need to check it out.  Thanks FXX!


And finally of course: 

No comments:

Post a Comment