Sunday, September 14, 2014

This Is Our Youth: Review and Neurotic Reflections

It’s still a strange experience for me to watch plays or pieces of art and to recognize the characters as people I know or for the situations presented to be instantly relatable to.  I guess that’s a side effect of getting older in that now any movie, show, or book featuring characters up to their mid-twenties will hold some sort of familiarity for me.  Last night I saw “This Is Our Youth” on Broadway with an excellent three person cast of Michael Cera, Keiran Culkin, and Tavi Gevinson and I would highly recommend it.  The play itself is quite funny in the way it deals with aimless rich kids, but the acting takes it to a whole other level.  I wanted to see the play for Michael Cera (for who I am a fan of), and he does not disappoint.  Who knew that Michael Cera could play a nervous, awkward character?  Shocking, I know, but Cera adds so much to the awkwardness and restlessness of Warren than just uncomfortable silences and strange phrasing.  He’s constantly fidgeting, pulling down his shirt, or frantically looking ahead to whatever lies next which prevents the character from falling into the unfair grouping of the Michael Cera character.  Kerian Culkin does a great job playing Dennis whose alpha male/dominant act begins to finally crack by the end of the play.  We’ve all been in friendships with charmers like Dennis and Culkin does a great job is playing a charismatic asshole.  I had no idea who Tavi Gevinson was to start the play and I’m glad because I just took her for a young actress who portrays her character of Jessica as insecurity wrapped in a thin cloak of mild hostility mixed with great speeches (her discussions with Warren towards the end of the first act amounted to my favorite part in the play).  After seeing the show and reading about how some people wanted her to fall flat on her face (why I still have no idea), I’m glad I went in empty without any preconceived notions and was just able to enjoy her as Jessica Goldman. 

Even though the play was written in 1982, and is set in that year, the show truly feels relevant and relatable.  I easily relate to the aimlessness and uncertainty of the characters, but I blame that on having the soul of a slacker.  My generation, when not getting stereotyped as being a bunch of technology driven narcissists, is usually stereotyped as kids that are always trying to change the world and do something (mainly in app form) with the maximum amount of sincerity possible.  It seems to be that every time a new product comes out, the tagline is about how it’s going to connect people together in another way we had never dreamed about!  I, for one, can’t stand all this new sincerity stuff and the whole earnest movement that’s been engulfing our culture (ex: any Buzzfeed/Upworthy article title) and crave irony layered in even more irony.  The kids in “This Is Our Youth” are always posturing with each other until sincerity is forced to slip out.  Watching the show made me realize how much I appreciate that kind of exchange a lot more than watching incredibly linear people veer off into their linear lives.  The characters of the play are not great people (I mainly mean Dennis), but something in their aimlessness and posturing rings true to me.  This was something where I could interchange people I know into the play’s world and very little in the proceedings would change. 


In short, I know these people and hang out with people similar to aspects of them.  The stories being shown today are being shifted towards me and it’s just another friendly reminder that I’m getting older and should be finding a job and be doing adult stuff.  But to me that manic uncertain energy portrayed in “This Is Our Youth” is something I always want to have (I’m not so keen on the stealing and excessive drug use.  If it was a little bit of stealing with some mild drug use, well then sign me up) and something I feel people around me are beginning to lose and not care about.  There’s something special about drifting in and out and aimlessness that people miss due to wanting to create the next way people can share their lives with others.  Oh well I guess, more manic energy for me than.       

No comments:

Post a Comment