Sunday, November 2, 2014

Ode To Halloween

Thoughts on Halloween:


My zeal for a good Halloween celebration matches the passion that Fox News reserves for their essential war on Christmas yearly freak out.  I love walking around my fair city of New York and seeing people dressed to the nines in whatever costume they see fit.  How can one not like Halloween?  This is the one day of the year where we get to pick our own masks and disguises rather than wear the ones that society imposes on us.  Halloween is escapism from the drudgery of not being able to wear whatever we want and showcase who we really were that particular October the 31st.  Put some effort into your costume and embody the spirit behind it (always within reason as we don’t need to see a bunch of people finding their inner serial killer or garden variety psychopath.  Embrace the role but subtract some to most of the violence).  Nothing can compare with the incredible ego boost of making and embodying a great costume and I’ll be the first to scream it from the mountaintops (or roof over a six floor walkup).  For this Halloween I adapted my brother’s Derek Jeter (never forgot) jersey and turned it into a passable Baseball Furies outfit from The Warriors.  I painted my face a delightful yellow and black, and donned a cap over my already flowing late 70’s styled hair.  The moment my costume was complete I could feel the power that came with representing the coolest gang outside of the Warriors (it also didn’t hurt that I was welding a Sammy Sosa Slugger bat).  I ventured out into the streets and was yelled and stared at all night long (including some actual cops) and I loved every second of it.  My narcissism reached its usual Halloween peak and I felt the anger and rage that comes with being a Baseball Furie.  I was pissed and in Halloween bliss. 

The scariest costume on Halloween is seeing a big guy wear normal clothes and just a scream mask (this also works with any ghoulish mask).  It makes the Halloween horror a little too relatable and also a little too bank robby/murdery for my taste.  Thought I must say that the most frightening costume I saw this year was a guy walking around 8th street wielding a crossbow with just normal clothes and no accompanying costume.  I contend that he was using Halloween as a cover to murder people and indeed won my scariest costume of the night (he was thrilled at winning this prestigious honor).  The fact that he walked around with people dressed only in scream masks sealed the deal. 
My favorite costume was worn by a group of four kids who were trick or treating after school.  The first three kids were dressed as the Avengers and there was a mini Hulk, a mini Iron Man, and a mini Thor.  Their fourth friend and leader of these young Avengers was dressed in an oversized Kool Aid Man costume.  They were a conceptual nightmare but a delight to behold.  I would have loved to sat in on the conversation when they were deciding what to wear.  I believe I got a glimpse into Marvel’s phase three and I have some young trick or treaters to thank.

I noticed a large spike in face painted skeletons and Day of the Dead face painted costumes among the Halloweeners outside.  Now this is putting real effort into a costume and every painted face I saw was done beautifully.  I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of staring at the elaborate designs.  I would like to note that I usually do stop staring it can become quite rude.

Fuck those people who walk into a costume party with no costume and act like they own the place or are cooler than everybody else because they didn’t dress up.  Without the costume you’re just attending any other party where you stand around and make uncomfortable conversation with people.  A costume at least adds a couple of decent opening lines.  Just give in to the power of the costume.  It’s okay to not look like the coolest person and be a silly goose or a plain silly silly.  Take it from me a person who is universally regarded as the bee knees.  On Halloween I take off my normal cool guy mask and put on my even cooler Baseball Furies face paint because I am amazing and own Halloween and furthermore….

Sorry about that last part, I got a bit carried away.  I’m only uber cool and on Halloween I become even uber cooler.  So Halloween is over and it’s going be a while before our next dress up holiday (Flag Day?).  Our next big event is Election Day and that will only be enjoyed by the people who are religiously opposed to Halloween (how the Democrats lose this one is a perfect scary story for future Halloweens).  I hope you had a glorious Halloween and always keep that passion for dressing up and just being crazy on a day that respects the oddball and basket case in all of us. 

Below is a picture of my Halloween costume because it was that cool: 

No comments:

Post a Comment