Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Well that was a fun few weeks of enjoying soccer and the World Cup

Well that was a fun few weeks of enjoying soccer and the World Cup.   Now Americans can indulge in a far greater pastime of ignoring things that don’t involve the U.S.  Finally we can narrow our gaze back to the stateside arena and wash off those embarrassing days when we cared about countries like Ghana, Germany, Portugal, and Belgium.  The average American has no time to care about these countries.  That’s what the NSA is here for (Angela Merkel knows what I’m talking about).

 I suppose the World Cup will continue and it should by all means necessary, but the organizers should give the proper time to mourn the passing of the American squad.  Before the Brazil Colombia match, let the Star Spangled Banner ring out so that all can remember the scrappy underdog that came from the world’s only hyper power.  As I said in another post, the USA is one of the few underdogs that most people will root against and really who can blame these other countries.  We’re a hegemonic giant whose soulless corporations have taken over and destroyed other less powerful and less supersized cultures.  I’ll give them their fleeting moment of sporting glory before I don’t know I lost my train of thought because I’ve stopped thinking about other countries.  Ah, the glory of being a red blooded American has returned.  It’s been quite the while.  No longer will I watch a sports game with the possibility of seeing a disappointing tie.  My sports now end with clear winners to be celebrated and clear losers to be mocked for the end of time.  I can sit back and actually understand what is happening on the field rather than putting up a pathetic front.  In my weaker moments I will miss those great announcers that the World Cup brings to every match as we baseball fans have to suffer through  the old Sunday Night Baseball and FOX broadcasters, but never fear, it’s only a few months till the sweet sounds of Clyde himself returns when the basketball season arises. 


In closing, the World Cup: what a ride.  It was fun to watch America always look to be on the brink of disaster and play like the scrappy team we imagine our country to be.  The World Cup may still be going on, but for me the fun is over.  It’s now time to regal in Derek Jeter’s final season and observe what the Knicks can do in the off season.  Plus, there’s always the added bonus of not having to hear that incredibly pathetic I think we can win chant.  I mean c’mon, we’re America not the little engine that could.   

No comments:

Post a Comment