Sunday, September 8, 2013

Another Self Portrait: A Better Self Portrait (can I write a music review? Not really, but I just want to write about Bob Dylan)

Another Self Portrait: A better Self Portrait

I am a gigantic Bob Dylan fan so the latest installment of his bootleg series has got me very excited.  I’ve listened to it and would like to share some thoughts of my favorite tracks from the album.  I enjoy his version of “Time Passes Slowly” with George Harrison.  The harmony and laid back nature they present in the song is quite hypnotic.  “Pretty Saro” has some of the best vocals I have ever heard from Dylan and is one of the prettiest songs from the album.  His covers of songs like “This Evening So Soon”, “Annie’s Going to Sing Her Song”, and “Thirsty Boots” thrive because of the joy they are played with.  He is singing songs he himself enjoys and the results are heartfelt adaptations.  He prefaces the song “Copper Kettle” by saying it is “one of our old favorites”.  Such a statement complements and sums up this album perfectly.  Dylan is singing songs he enjoys and it is a pleasure to be able to share in these adaptations.

The Isle of Wright set does not disappoint.  For me, the highlight is “It Ain’t Me, Babe”.  An acoustic version, Dylan plays an almost menacing and haunting tune with his guitar and turns in some expert phrasing in his country croon.  He lets his voice linger softly towards the end of each verse that turns in one of the best performances of this classic.  “Lay Lady Lay” is also expertly played and is better than the version from the Before the Flood album.  “Highway 61 Revisited” is another favorite for the rollicking madcap adaptation performed here.  Listening to the live album is like getting a glimpse into an alternate Dylan universe where he tours with his country persona.  This is another fantastic album and a great addition to the bootleg series.  All I can say is keep ‘em coming!    

No comments:

Post a Comment